Skip to main content

Can Artifical Intelligence Replace Your Doctor?

Artificial intelligence (AI) has moved into physicians’ exam rooms in my institution, albeit on a beta testing basis.

Software will be able to listen in to the conversations and then generate an office note.  AI will be able to distinguish among the patient, the physician and others present.  One of the casualties of this innovation is that patients will no longer enjoy the experience of watching the physician spend most of the allotted time pecking on the keyboard without eye contact. Yes, doctors and patients in the AI era will be nostalgic for the good old days when physicians battled and often surrendered to their computer adversaries.

Does AI generated office notes sound too futuristic?  We ain’t seen nothing yet.  I suspect that most of AI’s future role in my profession and yours and elsewhere is beyond our imagination. 


We're entering a new dimension!

At least in the short term, physicians will need to review AI generated notes for accuracy and may be required to click on a box absolving the AI vendor of all responsibility. 

By clicking this box, the provider accepts all responsibility for the accuracy of the medical note as AI can be inaccurate, unreliable, confusing and wrong.  Important information may have been deleted.  The AI company will be held harmless against all claims alleging that its product led to or contributed to an unfavorable medical outcome.  The provider has sole and absolute responsibility to verify the integrity of the medical record.

I just made up the above disclaimer, but I suspect I’m not that far off the mark.  Similar disclaimers are omnipresent.  Just recently I was sending a package from UPS, and I had to scroll down through pages of legal nonsense – none of which any customer has ever read – so that I could click on the CONFIRM button.  Perhaps, next time I should bring my lawyer with me?

AI generated medical office records are just entry level stuff.  Does anyone doubt that the diagnostic and therapeutic capabilities of AI will eclipse that of human healers?  You don’t believe this?  So, AI will be able to drive a truck, fly a plane, compose music, design a building, craft a complex legal contract, write poetry but somehow will be unable to practice medicine?  This is ridiculous.  And for those who assert that no machine will be able to replace a surgeon burrowing into the abdomen, I wouldn’t wager heavily on that assertion.  I find the notion of a AI directing a robot to remove an faraway appendix to be less fantastic than so many other realities that heretofore would have been deemed to be impossible. 

The AI tsunami will be unstoppable.  The Screen Actors Guild lobbied hard for protections against AI, which we know can generate realistic ‘actors’.  Do they and the rest of us think that they  can hold out against this? (Hint: they can't.) Look how well we’ve done restraining the nefarious and intentional addictive effects of social media. (Hint: not well.)

Get ready for a science fiction revolution that will make the internet seem like an abacus. 

I dedicate this post to Rod Serling who taught us all that what seems to be beyond our imagination today may be reality tomorrow.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Should Doctors Retire?

I am asked with some regularity whether I am aiming to retire in the near term.  Years ago, I never received such inquiries.  Why now?   Might it be because my coiffure and goatee – although finely-manicured – has long entered the gray area?  Could it be because many other even younger physicians have given up their stethoscopes for lives of leisure? (Hopefully, my inquiring patients are not suspecting any professional performance lapses!) Interestingly, a nurse in my office recently approached me and asked me sotto voce that she heard I was retiring.    “Interesting,” I remarked.   Since I was unaware of this retirement news, I asked her when would be my last day at work.   I have no idea where this erroneous rumor originated from.   I requested that my nurse-friend contact her flawed intel source and set him or her straight.   I wonder how far this fake news had extended.    Retirement might seem tempting to me as I have so many other interests.   Indeed, reading and studying, tw

Why Most Doctors Choose Employment

Increasingly, physicians today are employed and most of them willingly so.  The advantages of this employment model, which I will highlight below, appeal to the current and emerging generations of physicians and medical professionals.  In addition, the alternatives to direct employment are scarce, although they do exist.  Private practice gastroenterology practices in Cleveland, for example, are increasingly rare sightings.  Another practice model is gaining ground rapidly on the medical landscape.   Private equity (PE) firms have   been purchasing medical practices who are in need of capital and management oversight.   PE can provide services efficiently as they may be serving multiple practices and have economies of scale.   While these physicians technically have authority over all medical decisions, the PE partners can exert behavioral influences on physicians which can be ethically problematic. For example, if the PE folks reduce non-medical overhead, this may very directly affe

Should Doctors Wear White Coats?

Many professions can be easily identified by their uniforms or state of dress. Consider how easy it is for us to identify a policeman, a judge, a baseball player, a housekeeper, a chef, or a soldier.  There must be a reason why so many professions require a uniform.  Presumably, it is to create team spirit among colleagues and to communicate a message to the clientele.  It certainly doesn’t enhance professional performance.  For instance, do we think if a judge ditches the robe and is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, that he or she cannot issue sage rulings?  If members of a baseball team showed up dressed in comfortable street clothes, would they commit more errors or achieve fewer hits?  The medical profession for most of its existence has had its own uniform.   Male doctors donned a shirt and tie and all doctors wore the iconic white coat.   The stated reason was that this created an aura of professionalism that inspired confidence in patients and their families.   Indeed, even today