Skip to main content

Can I Trust my Doctor?

We all recall President Reagan’s adage, trust but verify, with regard to the then Soviet Union.  President Reagan’s choice of words indicated that trust could not be assumed.  I challenge this notion as I feel that to trust another person, an organization or even a country that trust must be assumed to exist.  That’s what trust means.  Conversely, if one has to verify its presence, then true trust is clearly not there.  If a spouse, for example, hires a private investigator to prove that his or her partner is behaving honorably, is trust present?

I think that overall the public trusts their doctors, although they are wary about the medical profession writ large.  The public may view their physicians in the same way that it views politicians – they see systemic dysfunction and self-interest in both professions but folks give higher integrity marks to their personal doctor or representative.  Often, patients who I know have confidence in me voice criticisms over various frustrating aspects of the medical world including billing absurdities, poor physician access, waiting times in emergency rooms, lackluster bedside manners, costs of pharmaceuticals, the reality that medicine is a business and the sense that they are outmatched in an unfair fight. 

How much trust can a patient have in a system that won’t cover a drug that they need to get well?

There is a dichotomy between a strong bond between most patients and their doctors and a deep skepticism the public has with the medical-industrial complex.  I understand this both as a physician and when I have been a patient.  If medicine has truly morphed into a business, can we expect it to behave reliably as a professional calling?  I suggest that readers review the very brief fable of the Frog and the Scorpion which illustrates my stinging point very well.  I’m not saying that the profession cannot behave nobly, only that there are forces present opposing this. 


"It's my nature."

If trust between medical professionals and patients erodes, then the doctor-patient relationship is fractured and optimal medical care may no longer be possible.  A patient needs to know that when medical advice is offered, that the only consideration is the patient’s welfare.  I still have patients query me from time to time if the reason I am counseling against a diagnostic test is to conform with insurance company policy.  And patients need to be truthful with us.  If physicians are misled about addiction issues or if patients are taking their medicines as prescribed, then the medical recommendations may be wrong.  Tell the truth.

Overall, I think the health of the doctor-patient relationship is intact, but like any relationship, it needs to be nurtured and protected.  Each side has a responsibility to maintain it.  If one side is falling short, then the partner needs to call him or her out to restore the equilibrium.  That’s how a trusting relationship stays strong.

 

Comments

  1. This was an excellent blog. I do trust my doctors. I have had the good fortune of seeing doctors who chose the profession for all of the right reasons. My issues are with the complex medical industry and the insurance industry. I am so grateful for the doctors who must have to deal with the micro managing of those whose first concern is profit. Thank you for your constant moral compass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anonymous, thanks so much for your kind words. I believe that most physicians have entered the profession for the right reasons. One of many challenges facing them and me is to resist various external forces and influences that confront us along the way that serves to distract us from our healing missions. I hope that you will visit the blog again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Most Doctors Choose Employment

Increasingly, physicians today are employed and most of them willingly so.  The advantages of this employment model, which I will highlight below, appeal to the current and emerging generations of physicians and medical professionals.  In addition, the alternatives to direct employment are scarce, although they do exist.  Private practice gastroenterology practices in Cleveland, for example, are increasingly rare sightings.  Another practice model is gaining ground rapidly on the medical landscape.   Private equity (PE) firms have   been purchasing medical practices who are in need of capital and management oversight.   PE can provide services efficiently as they may be serving multiple practices and have economies of scale.   While these physicians technically have authority over all medical decisions, the PE partners can exert behavioral influences on physicians which can be ethically problematic. For example, if the PE folks reduce non-medical overhead, this may very directly affe

Should Doctors Wear White Coats?

Many professions can be easily identified by their uniforms or state of dress. Consider how easy it is for us to identify a policeman, a judge, a baseball player, a housekeeper, a chef, or a soldier.  There must be a reason why so many professions require a uniform.  Presumably, it is to create team spirit among colleagues and to communicate a message to the clientele.  It certainly doesn’t enhance professional performance.  For instance, do we think if a judge ditches the robe and is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, that he or she cannot issue sage rulings?  If members of a baseball team showed up dressed in comfortable street clothes, would they commit more errors or achieve fewer hits?  The medical profession for most of its existence has had its own uniform.   Male doctors donned a shirt and tie and all doctors wore the iconic white coat.   The stated reason was that this created an aura of professionalism that inspired confidence in patients and their families.   Indeed, even today

Electronic Medical Records vs Physicians: Not a Fair Fight!

Each work day, I enter the chamber of horrors also known as the electronic medical record (EMR).  I’ve endured several versions of this torture over the years, monstrosities that were designed more to appeal to the needs of billers and coders than physicians. Make sense? I will admit that my current EMR, called Epic, is more physician-friendly than prior competitors, but it remains a formidable adversary.  And it’s not a fair fight.  You might be a great chess player, but odds are that you will not vanquish a computer adversary armed with artificial intelligence. I have a competitive advantage over many other physician contestants in the battle of Man vs Machine.   I can type well and can do so while maintaining eye contact with the patient.   You must think I am a magician or a savant.   While this may be true, the birth of my advanced digital skills started decades ago.   (As an aside, digital competence is essential for gastroenterologists.) During college, I worked as a secretary