Skip to main content

How Do Patients Choose Doctors?

My last blog post contrasted the experience of being an employed physician with being a private practice doctor. I expressed that at this stage of my career that I much preferred being employed to running a medical practice. (This means that I can now spend all of my time just being a doctor!) But there are desirable features of private practice medicine that simply do not exist in the medical megalopolis where I now work. Not surprisingly, the vibe is different in a gargantuan organization that employs tens of thousands of caregivers, staff and support personnel who serve millions of patients domestically and overseas. 

It is simply not possible to recreate the intimacy that I enjoyed in my prior small practice with my patients and my own staff.  Here’s an example that will illustrate my point effectively.


Telephone Directory

Here's how I found my doctor!

For as long as I’ve been practicing medicine, I’ve queried every new patient who came to see on how they ended up with me.  Yes, there were a handful who found me in the phone book (readers under the age of 40 are encouraged to google this item) and some who simply wandered into the office with digestive issues.  But most of them had a more personal reason that led them to my office.  I would routinely hear remarks from patients similar to these:

My dad loved how you fixed up his stomach for him and told me to come here.

I got your name from my neighbor who raved about you when she was in the hospital.

I looked up your reviews and wanted to see you.

I am not citing the above examples in a boastful or self-promotional manner.  Indeed, nearly every doctor has similar vignettes and examples of patient loyalty.  When a patient has made a conscious and deliberate decision to see a particular doctor, this automatically advances the doctor-patient relationship. Every restaurant or tradesmen or consultant or retailer appreciates a word of mouth referral.

In my current job, I do see some patients who were referred to me by other patients, but this is much less common.  Typically, patients or their primary care professionals call a centralized scheduler who scans the sea of gastroenterologists and plugs the patient into an available appointment slot.   Of course, there is no difference in the quality of my work, but the vibe is not the same.  When I ask these patients how exactly they came to see me, often they reply ‘I don’t know.’

Remember (or imagine) going to the local hardware store in search of a particular tool?  You would be greeted by a friendly associate or maybe even the owner to assist you.  He might even know you by name.  While one could purchase the same item in a big box store, the experience is not the same.

When an organization is dealing with zillions of patients, guess who prevails in the Intimacy vs Efficiency contest?

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Most Doctors Choose Employment

Increasingly, physicians today are employed and most of them willingly so.  The advantages of this employment model, which I will highlight below, appeal to the current and emerging generations of physicians and medical professionals.  In addition, the alternatives to direct employment are scarce, although they do exist.  Private practice gastroenterology practices in Cleveland, for example, are increasingly rare sightings.  Another practice model is gaining ground rapidly on the medical landscape.   Private equity (PE) firms have   been purchasing medical practices who are in need of capital and management oversight.   PE can provide services efficiently as they may be serving multiple practices and have economies of scale.   While these physicians technically have authority over all medical decisions, the PE partners can exert behavioral influences on physicians which can be ethically problematic. For example, if the PE folks reduce non-medical overhead, this may very directly affe

Should Doctors Wear White Coats?

Many professions can be easily identified by their uniforms or state of dress. Consider how easy it is for us to identify a policeman, a judge, a baseball player, a housekeeper, a chef, or a soldier.  There must be a reason why so many professions require a uniform.  Presumably, it is to create team spirit among colleagues and to communicate a message to the clientele.  It certainly doesn’t enhance professional performance.  For instance, do we think if a judge ditches the robe and is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, that he or she cannot issue sage rulings?  If members of a baseball team showed up dressed in comfortable street clothes, would they commit more errors or achieve fewer hits?  The medical profession for most of its existence has had its own uniform.   Male doctors donned a shirt and tie and all doctors wore the iconic white coat.   The stated reason was that this created an aura of professionalism that inspired confidence in patients and their families.   Indeed, even today

Electronic Medical Records vs Physicians: Not a Fair Fight!

Each work day, I enter the chamber of horrors also known as the electronic medical record (EMR).  I’ve endured several versions of this torture over the years, monstrosities that were designed more to appeal to the needs of billers and coders than physicians. Make sense? I will admit that my current EMR, called Epic, is more physician-friendly than prior competitors, but it remains a formidable adversary.  And it’s not a fair fight.  You might be a great chess player, but odds are that you will not vanquish a computer adversary armed with artificial intelligence. I have a competitive advantage over many other physician contestants in the battle of Man vs Machine.   I can type well and can do so while maintaining eye contact with the patient.   You must think I am a magician or a savant.   While this may be true, the birth of my advanced digital skills started decades ago.   (As an aside, digital competence is essential for gastroenterologists.) During college, I worked as a secretary