Skip to main content

Breaking News! A Cure for Baldness!

I have satellite radio in my car.  I listen to 2 or 3 stations.  I have a deluxe version of cable TV, giving me access to hundreds of channels.  I watch a handful of them.   There is no way, of course, that I could simply pay for the 7 stations I watch.   For example, if I want HBO so I can watch John Oliver’s uproarious Last Week Tonight on Sunday, I have to purchase some package of useless channels to secure my HBO spot.

I listen to CNN often in the car.  This network blares out ‘Breaking News’ every 5 minutes or so.  I wrote to them demanding an explanation for these idiotic announcements, but they couldn’t break away from the avalanche of breaking news to respond to me.  In times past, ‘Breaking News’ meant that the Germans surrendered, Truman beat Dewey or that Neil Armstrong planted his feet firmly on the lunar landscape. 

I also wrote twice to CNN asking how many minutes of commercials occupy Wolf Blitzer’s hour long ‘news’ show.   I got the same non-response as referenced above.  I’m sure I am now blacklisted there.   My guess is that the minutes of commercial time would shock us all.   I’m surprised that the network hasn’t started introducing the commercials with Wolf howling ‘Breaking News! New Floor Cleaner Wipes the Competition!’

So many commercials are devoted to health issues.  Many of them are for prescription drugs.  Interesting how the pharmaceutical companies are flooding the airwaves, internet and print hawking products to a public who cannot purchase them by themselves, as they might do with a TV set or a mattress.  They are coaxing the public to lean on their health care providers, aka doctors.  Enter the phrase:  ‘ask your doctor if Proctobomb is right for you.'


General Ambrose Burnside
Hair in All the Wrong Places

I heard a commercial today about some kind of laser device that could sprout hair on a bald and desolate scalp.  I was struck that the ad touted 93% significant hair growth from users.  I admit that I did not read the study, but I am skeptical that it would be characterized as rigorous scientific inquiry.  Moreover, I wonder who funded the study, or if the physician investigators  benefited by participating.  Once again, I am not leveling actual allegations of conflicts of interest, only that I am suspicious they exist when a commercial product is championed in a single study for an incurable condition..

I’ve read thousands of medical studies, and a 93% benefit is nearly unheard of in conventional medical reports.  Even treatments that are established and proven therapies rarely reach such a high bar.  Such a stratospheric level of performance should arouse skepticism that the study is misleading and deceptive.

Most of us who are follicularly-challenged would walk through a minefield for the promise of 93% significant hair growth.   Here’s the catch.  Who defines what significant hair growth is?  Recognize that as the definition of significant hair growth is relaxed that the success rate increases. For example, if  significant hair growth is defined as a few new limp saplings, then the company can boast a success that will not be visible to the customer or anyone gazing at his pate.

Think of how success rates in medical reports can be massaged to lure physicians and patients.  If a drug or device company announces  a huge success rate, make sure that what they are measuring really matters to you.  Just because they claim it’s Breaking News, doesn’t make it so.


Comments

  1. I agree with you, but most of the people are finding the relevant business or services from the commercial adds, for example, a person wants to find the doctor in New Jersey, if he sees the add on the television, he can easily find the doctor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Most Doctors Choose Employment

Increasingly, physicians today are employed and most of them willingly so.  The advantages of this employment model, which I will highlight below, appeal to the current and emerging generations of physicians and medical professionals.  In addition, the alternatives to direct employment are scarce, although they do exist.  Private practice gastroenterology practices in Cleveland, for example, are increasingly rare sightings.  Another practice model is gaining ground rapidly on the medical landscape.   Private equity (PE) firms have   been purchasing medical practices who are in need of capital and management oversight.   PE can provide services efficiently as they may be serving multiple practices and have economies of scale.   While these physicians technically have authority over all medical decisions, the PE partners can exert behavioral influences on physicians which can be ethically problematic. For example, if the PE folks reduce non-medical overhead, this may very directly affe

Should Doctors Wear White Coats?

Many professions can be easily identified by their uniforms or state of dress. Consider how easy it is for us to identify a policeman, a judge, a baseball player, a housekeeper, a chef, or a soldier.  There must be a reason why so many professions require a uniform.  Presumably, it is to create team spirit among colleagues and to communicate a message to the clientele.  It certainly doesn’t enhance professional performance.  For instance, do we think if a judge ditches the robe and is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, that he or she cannot issue sage rulings?  If members of a baseball team showed up dressed in comfortable street clothes, would they commit more errors or achieve fewer hits?  The medical profession for most of its existence has had its own uniform.   Male doctors donned a shirt and tie and all doctors wore the iconic white coat.   The stated reason was that this created an aura of professionalism that inspired confidence in patients and their families.   Indeed, even today

Electronic Medical Records vs Physicians: Not a Fair Fight!

Each work day, I enter the chamber of horrors also known as the electronic medical record (EMR).  I’ve endured several versions of this torture over the years, monstrosities that were designed more to appeal to the needs of billers and coders than physicians. Make sense? I will admit that my current EMR, called Epic, is more physician-friendly than prior competitors, but it remains a formidable adversary.  And it’s not a fair fight.  You might be a great chess player, but odds are that you will not vanquish a computer adversary armed with artificial intelligence. I have a competitive advantage over many other physician contestants in the battle of Man vs Machine.   I can type well and can do so while maintaining eye contact with the patient.   You must think I am a magician or a savant.   While this may be true, the birth of my advanced digital skills started decades ago.   (As an aside, digital competence is essential for gastroenterologists.) During college, I worked as a secretary