Skip to main content

Why We Should Wear Face Masks During COVID-19


In general, I’ve been wearing a mask when I’m out and about.  I continue to believe that maintaining adequate distance between me and the next guy is more important than masking up.  I’ve seen many folks who must not agree with me as they have no qualms about breaking the recommended 6 feet barrier while donning a mask.  One of my criticisms of masking up is my suspicion that folks would feel more protected than they are and would reduce their social distancing range from 6 feet to 6 inches.

And, does the public truly understand that the mask is to protect others?  And, it may also be possible that the mask wearer may also enjoy some personal protection.

Of course, the messaging on masking has been atrocious.  On February 29th the Surgeon General implored us in ALL CAPS on a tweet to STOP BUYING MASKS!  His advice has since 'evolved' and is now in line with the consensus of all responsible public health leaders to mask up.

And yet, we have a segment of folks who regard the recommendation to wear a mask to be akin to state tyranny.


Public Health Measure or Tyranny of the State?


Here’s why I think that masking up makes sense.
  • Health authorities are advising us to mask up and we should heed their advice.
  • In the event that I am unknowingly infected with the novel coronavirus, a mask will reduce risk to those near me.
  • Perhaps, my mask will also protect me.
  • By wearing a mask, we may keep our hands away direct contact to our faces, which is an effective method, acccording to experts, of transfering the virus to our breathing passages.  I’m sure someone has done the experiment on how often we touch our faces over the course of a day. I’ll bet the answer would shock us.  Readers are encouraged to investigate this existential question and to report their findings in the Comment section. 
  • Masks are cheap.
  • Wearing a mask fosters a sense of community and connects us in our common cause to get the other side.
  • Wearing a mask is essentially all benefit and no risk, although anti-maskers will surely have an anecdote or two demonstrating some calamitous outcome resulting from a mask.
  • Masks can be personalized and are a new form of bumper stickers that offer a great way to message the world.
While I am not a medical researcher, I surmise that the mask safer and more effective than swallowing bleach but readers should note that a formal study on this has not been done so it’s still an open question.

The mask makes me feel as if I’m part of the national effort to stare this virus down.  It’s a team building effort, a uniform, that communicates that we are all in this together.  It reminds me of when millions of us were attaching small American flags to our cars after 9/11. When I came across a stranger on the street who is masked like me, I feel a connection beyond what we would have had months ago.  It feels good.

Are you on the team?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Most Doctors Choose Employment

Increasingly, physicians today are employed and most of them willingly so.  The advantages of this employment model, which I will highlight below, appeal to the current and emerging generations of physicians and medical professionals.  In addition, the alternatives to direct employment are scarce, although they do exist.  Private practice gastroenterology practices in Cleveland, for example, are increasingly rare sightings.  Another practice model is gaining ground rapidly on the medical landscape.   Private equity (PE) firms have   been purchasing medical practices who are in need of capital and management oversight.   PE can provide services efficiently as they may be serving multiple practices and have economies of scale.   While these physicians technically have authority over all medical decisions, the PE partners can exert behavioral influences on physicians which can be ethically problematic. For example, if the PE folks reduce non-medical overhead, this may very directly affe

Should Doctors Wear White Coats?

Many professions can be easily identified by their uniforms or state of dress. Consider how easy it is for us to identify a policeman, a judge, a baseball player, a housekeeper, a chef, or a soldier.  There must be a reason why so many professions require a uniform.  Presumably, it is to create team spirit among colleagues and to communicate a message to the clientele.  It certainly doesn’t enhance professional performance.  For instance, do we think if a judge ditches the robe and is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, that he or she cannot issue sage rulings?  If members of a baseball team showed up dressed in comfortable street clothes, would they commit more errors or achieve fewer hits?  The medical profession for most of its existence has had its own uniform.   Male doctors donned a shirt and tie and all doctors wore the iconic white coat.   The stated reason was that this created an aura of professionalism that inspired confidence in patients and their families.   Indeed, even today

Electronic Medical Records vs Physicians: Not a Fair Fight!

Each work day, I enter the chamber of horrors also known as the electronic medical record (EMR).  I’ve endured several versions of this torture over the years, monstrosities that were designed more to appeal to the needs of billers and coders than physicians. Make sense? I will admit that my current EMR, called Epic, is more physician-friendly than prior competitors, but it remains a formidable adversary.  And it’s not a fair fight.  You might be a great chess player, but odds are that you will not vanquish a computer adversary armed with artificial intelligence. I have a competitive advantage over many other physician contestants in the battle of Man vs Machine.   I can type well and can do so while maintaining eye contact with the patient.   You must think I am a magician or a savant.   While this may be true, the birth of my advanced digital skills started decades ago.   (As an aside, digital competence is essential for gastroenterologists.) During college, I worked as a secretary