Skip to main content

Why I Left Private Practice


After 20 years, I have left private practice and joined with the Cleveland Clinic.  To those who know me and this blog, this development may seem surprising, if not shocking.  On many levels, I’m shocked at this unexpected denouement of my career.   Let me explain.

First, these past two decades in private practice have been fabulous.  Our amazing staff and my partner worked hard every day to provide concierge level care to our patients.  We survived only because we provided a level of service that the surrounding competitors simply could not rival.  We provided customized and personal attention.  Our patients were happy and satisfied.  And, so were we.  So, why did we make a change?

Over the past few years, my partner and I had become uneasy about our practice’s ongoing viability.  The economics of a 2-person private practice are increasingly challenging.  Consider the math.  There is ongoing downward pressure on reimbursement with inexorable upward movement on expenses.  We cut every expense that we could – including the physicians’ salaries.  The only expense that remained sacred was our staff’s compensation.  We knew that if we didn’t retain our outstanding medical and administrative staff- the crown jewels of the practice - that the enterprise would decay.  


The math was against us.

Additionally, my partner and I were on-call for hospital work and emergencies every other weekend and every other holiday.  And, this schedule became more burdensome when one of us was on vacation.  This was our situation for years and we were unable to solve it.

And finally, we worried that if our still independent community hospitals were acquired by a larger entity – which we think will happen – that this could herald the abrupt demise of our practice. 
So, this was our mindset when the Cleveland Clinic approached us and expressed interest in our practice.  Twenty meetings or so later, here we are.  My new office is just down the street from my prior practice and I am honored that my former patients are following me.  Of course, it’s a transition from being president of my practice to becoming an employee of a large medical enterprise, but my partner and I correctly judged that this was the right decision at a most propitious moment in the life cycle of our practice.   Frankly, we got lucky.  We saved our practice and much of our staff have joined us.

Our staff and us had some sad goodbye moments.  But, there were some joyful goodbyes as well.  Imagine my mirth and euphoria in saying goodbye to working on weekends, nights and holidays!  Yes, I deserve a lighter load after nearly 3 decades of hard core specialty care; but life isn’t fair and we don’t always get the fair shake we merit.   Conversely, sometimes we catch a break that we didn’t earn.

If the Clinic and I remain happy with each other – and so far we are – then this will be my final gig. I’ll keep you posted, from time to time.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Most Doctors Choose Employment

Increasingly, physicians today are employed and most of them willingly so.  The advantages of this employment model, which I will highlight below, appeal to the current and emerging generations of physicians and medical professionals.  In addition, the alternatives to direct employment are scarce, although they do exist.  Private practice gastroenterology practices in Cleveland, for example, are increasingly rare sightings.  Another practice model is gaining ground rapidly on the medical landscape.   Private equity (PE) firms have   been purchasing medical practices who are in need of capital and management oversight.   PE can provide services efficiently as they may be serving multiple practices and have economies of scale.   While these physicians technically have authority over all medical decisions, the PE partners can exert behavioral influences on physicians which can be ethically problematic. For example, if the PE folks reduce non-medical overhead, this may very directly affe

Should Doctors Wear White Coats?

Many professions can be easily identified by their uniforms or state of dress. Consider how easy it is for us to identify a policeman, a judge, a baseball player, a housekeeper, a chef, or a soldier.  There must be a reason why so many professions require a uniform.  Presumably, it is to create team spirit among colleagues and to communicate a message to the clientele.  It certainly doesn’t enhance professional performance.  For instance, do we think if a judge ditches the robe and is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, that he or she cannot issue sage rulings?  If members of a baseball team showed up dressed in comfortable street clothes, would they commit more errors or achieve fewer hits?  The medical profession for most of its existence has had its own uniform.   Male doctors donned a shirt and tie and all doctors wore the iconic white coat.   The stated reason was that this created an aura of professionalism that inspired confidence in patients and their families.   Indeed, even today

Electronic Medical Records vs Physicians: Not a Fair Fight!

Each work day, I enter the chamber of horrors also known as the electronic medical record (EMR).  I’ve endured several versions of this torture over the years, monstrosities that were designed more to appeal to the needs of billers and coders than physicians. Make sense? I will admit that my current EMR, called Epic, is more physician-friendly than prior competitors, but it remains a formidable adversary.  And it’s not a fair fight.  You might be a great chess player, but odds are that you will not vanquish a computer adversary armed with artificial intelligence. I have a competitive advantage over many other physician contestants in the battle of Man vs Machine.   I can type well and can do so while maintaining eye contact with the patient.   You must think I am a magician or a savant.   While this may be true, the birth of my advanced digital skills started decades ago.   (As an aside, digital competence is essential for gastroenterologists.) During college, I worked as a secretary