Skip to main content

Addiction and Substance Abuse Can Strike Anyone


Over the course of a year, I have an alternating pattern of caffeinated coffee ingestion.   As readers should know, I will not swallow Starbucks ‘Joe’ as I do not think that I have sufficient stomach acid and other bodily defenses to successful prevail against this corrosive elixir. Of course, everything has a benefit if one is resourceful enough to discover it.  For instance, I have found their coffee to be quite useful as a paint remover or shark repellent. 

The best coffee in Cleveland is found at Dunkin’ Donuts (DD).  Perhaps, one of the reasons their java is so smooth is that my order of coffee with cream is mixed at a 1 to 1 ratio.  Cream at DD is no half and half concoction; it’s the real thing.

As I write this, there is an environmentally unfriendly Styrofoam cup beside me. I’ll down this coffee every day for weeks reaching a point where if I skip a day, I will enjoy the pleasure of an ice-pick, throbbing headache at 4 pm.  It’s a pounder that stays with me for 3 hours, until it fades allowing my neurons to regain some level of function.  At this point, I am aware that I have developed a physical addition to the stimulant, and need to resume daily use if I am to avoid the afternoon cranial crusher.

Coffea Arabica Plant
Opium of the People?

I now face a choice.  Resume the daily caffeine or break it off and tolerate the withdrawal phase until I am successfully detoxified.

In general, I opt for the latter and survive on decaf for several weeks until I convince myself that a single caffeinated morning brew can’t hurt me.  And so, resumes the cycle. 

While this is a real addiction with real withdrawal, it is a mere wraith of the addictions that I confront as a physician.  While the tobacco habit is most common, there’s an abundance of alcohol abuse in my practice, which I am sure is substantially underestimated.  I surmise that most of the alcoholics in my practice are unknown to me.  I see a fair amount of pain medication addiction, which was initiated for short term pain control, but over time has morphed into a new disease. 

It’s a sad reality to recognize how difficult it is for alcoholics and other addicts to recover successfully, even when they strive to do so.  Booze and cigarettes over time become tentacles that wrap around their victims, squeezing tightly, such that most addicts don’t have the strength or the will to remove them.  It is humbling to appreciate the power that these substances exert over the users.  These are folks who simply cannot throw these chains aside, despite suffering profound personal and professional losses and serious medical consequences.  And, no one can do this work for them, as I have witnessed time and time again.

There is no comparison of these tragic and recalcitrant conditions to a coffee fling, which poses a small challenge to the afflicted individual, as I know.  While some addicts manage to slay the dragon, most will serve as prey to the beast.   

I’ve got a few more swigs of DD left this morning.  Addicted?  Of course not.  I can stop anytime I want.  Maybe tomorrow, or the next day…

Comments

  1. Nobody should ever take the first dose of a potentially addictive substance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I entered the hospital for a hemi-thyroidectomy. All went well until the following morning. Nancy New Nurse came in to do vitals and asked me if I had any pain. I explained that my throat was only a little sore, but I had a horrible headache. I am not at all a headache-prone person, and this was debilitating. Nancy New Nurse found that my BP was a little elevated and went to get Old Crusty, the head nurse. Old Crusty asked how much caffeine I consume. I consume caffeinated beverages much like a contiuous IV infusion at the rate of 60-100cc per hour. "Give her a Percocet and a cup of coffee; she'll be fine" announces Old Crusty to Nancy New Nurse. It took one Perc and two cups of coffee, but she was right! Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. @anonymous above, great vignette! I lament that we have so few Nurse Crusty's, whom we need desperately. Sounds like you rec'd a dose of common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I have been trying to give up drinking alcohol I have been replacing it with coffee all I am doing is replacing one addiction to another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @EKG MachineMan, you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Most Doctors Choose Employment

Increasingly, physicians today are employed and most of them willingly so.  The advantages of this employment model, which I will highlight below, appeal to the current and emerging generations of physicians and medical professionals.  In addition, the alternatives to direct employment are scarce, although they do exist.  Private practice gastroenterology practices in Cleveland, for example, are increasingly rare sightings.  Another practice model is gaining ground rapidly on the medical landscape.   Private equity (PE) firms have   been purchasing medical practices who are in need of capital and management oversight.   PE can provide services efficiently as they may be serving multiple practices and have economies of scale.   While these physicians technically have authority over all medical decisions, the PE partners can exert behavioral influences on physicians which can be ethically problematic. For example, if the PE folks reduce non-medical overhead, this may very directly affe

Should Doctors Wear White Coats?

Many professions can be easily identified by their uniforms or state of dress. Consider how easy it is for us to identify a policeman, a judge, a baseball player, a housekeeper, a chef, or a soldier.  There must be a reason why so many professions require a uniform.  Presumably, it is to create team spirit among colleagues and to communicate a message to the clientele.  It certainly doesn’t enhance professional performance.  For instance, do we think if a judge ditches the robe and is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, that he or she cannot issue sage rulings?  If members of a baseball team showed up dressed in comfortable street clothes, would they commit more errors or achieve fewer hits?  The medical profession for most of its existence has had its own uniform.   Male doctors donned a shirt and tie and all doctors wore the iconic white coat.   The stated reason was that this created an aura of professionalism that inspired confidence in patients and their families.   Indeed, even today

Electronic Medical Records vs Physicians: Not a Fair Fight!

Each work day, I enter the chamber of horrors also known as the electronic medical record (EMR).  I’ve endured several versions of this torture over the years, monstrosities that were designed more to appeal to the needs of billers and coders than physicians. Make sense? I will admit that my current EMR, called Epic, is more physician-friendly than prior competitors, but it remains a formidable adversary.  And it’s not a fair fight.  You might be a great chess player, but odds are that you will not vanquish a computer adversary armed with artificial intelligence. I have a competitive advantage over many other physician contestants in the battle of Man vs Machine.   I can type well and can do so while maintaining eye contact with the patient.   You must think I am a magician or a savant.   While this may be true, the birth of my advanced digital skills started decades ago.   (As an aside, digital competence is essential for gastroenterologists.) During college, I worked as a secretary