No, I don’t think that creationism is science and it should not be disguised as such. Global warming, or climate change, however, is more nuanced. While it is inarguable that temperatures have been rising, it is not certain and to what extent human activities are responsible for this. Clearly, this issue has been contaminated by politically correct warriors and those who have an agenda against fossil fuel use. Science, like all scholarship, should be a pursuit of the truth, without a destination in sight. Believing or wanting to believe that man is turning the world’s heat up may sound plausible, but it may not be true.
In the medical universe, much is presented as true, which may be either false or unproved. Consider how many established medical procedures and practices have no underlying science to buttress them. Consider the following examples and decide if you agree that each is a good idea that makes sense. Do they sound right or are they truly sound?
- Patients should have regular physical examinations as an integral part of preventive medicine.
- Patients should undergo a CAT scan of the chest and abdomen at age 50 in order to detect any silent lesions that may be present, before they have an opportunity to grow and threaten the patient.
- Medical care is superior in large medical centers because physicians there have access to the best minds and technology.
- If you have fever and a cough, it’s best to begin antibiotics early before pneumonia can develop.
- Everyone should restrict their salt intake.
- Probiotics facilitate good digestion and should be part of a healthful diet.
- Placing stents in narrowed arteries helps patients live longer by allowing for increased blood flow.
- Cardiologists are more skilled at managing high blood pressure than general internists because of additional training and experience.
- A back x-ray is important to evaluate new back pain to exclude a fracture or other serious condition.
- Everyone should receive medication to lower their cholesterol levels, even if the levels are ‘normal’, as this will reduce risks of developing heart disease.
- Alternative and complementary medicine are safe and effective and should be incorporated into mainstream medical practice.
- Colonoscopy is a fun and exciting event that everyone should enjoy often.
- Medical bloggers who spew forth sarcasm need to be chastised and publicly humiliated.
I have something in common with climate change myself. When I read about myth masquerading as fact, I find that my own temperature starts rising.